THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN APPLICATION DEADLINES
Fall: December 1
Spring: October 1
BUTLER SCHOOL OF MUSIC APPLICATION DEADLINES
Fall: January 1
Prescreening: December 1
Spring: October 1
Prescreening: October 1
Spring applications are accepted on a space available basis. Voice applications will not be accepted. Availability in other areas will be posted by late summer.
Updated requirements for spring/fall 2014 entry will be available by July 1.
TO APPLY for admission to UT Austin and the Butler School of Music as a first-time freshman, complete the following requirements:
1. Apply to the UT Office of Admissions. Make sure all the required items arrive in the Office of Admissions by the deadline. Be sure to list a second major choice when completing the UT online application. You will be evaluated for your second major choice if you do not pass the music audition. If you pass the audition, but are not accepted through UT Admissions, the UT Admissions decision will over-ride your Butler School of Music audition results.
2. Complete and submit the online Butler School of Music application form before the deadline to request an audition date or to request a review of a recorded audition. Please note that applicants in prescreening areas may have an earlier deadline. Clarinet, flute, string, and voice applicants must audition in person unless currently residing outside of the United States.
3. Prescreening applicants (flute, jazz guitar, violin, and voice only): Submit a prescreening recording by December 1 for Fall admission or October 1 for Spring admission. The Butler School of Music application must also be submitted by that date. Prescreening requirements can be found within the audition requirements.
4. Submit three (3) Letters of Recommendation directly to the BSoM. If possible, these letters should come from your private music teachers, high school band/orchestra/choral teachers, high school counselors, or others who know your work as a musician. Letters are due by the BSoM application deadline.
5. Composition, Recording Technology, and Music Business applicants: You are required to submit supplemental materials in addition to the UT application and the BSoM application and audition. The deadline to submit supplemental materials for Fall admission is December 1 for Composition applicants, and January 1 for Recording Technology and Music Business applicants. October 1 is the deadline for supplemental materials for Spring admission.
6. Submit an expanded music resume by mail or fax. Although a music resume is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one. Think of it as your opportunity to provide us with a complete picture of your activities, important performances, and honors and awards. You may send the same resume to UT Main Admissions and the Butler School of Music. Should you choose to do so, follow their sample resume and add additional information regarding your musical background.
7. Perform and pass your audition. All undergraduate applicants must perform and pass an audition to pursue a degree in music.
Have you been admitted to UT Austin as a Music Major for the Fall semester? Here's what to do next:
1. The deadline to submit your Butler School of Music response form and pay your enrollment deposit is May 1.
2. Register for Freshman Orientation, which occurs in June. If you are admitted to Music, this will include an orientation session with the Music Advisor, one-on-one advising appointments, and Fall course registration.
3. Visit the UT After-Admission Checklist and MyStatus to make sure you've finalized your admission.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR A SMOOTH APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to UT Main Admissions or the Butler School of Music. Each year we receive applications from multiple people with the same name. We wouldn't want to include your resume in someone else's file.
2. Check your UT application status regularly. MyStatus is a secure online tool that lets you follow the progress of your admission application and related processes from initial submission to your final admission decision and beyond. Materials sent directly to the BSoM will never appear in MyStatus. If you have questions about your BSoM application materials, please email Ms. Borshard.
3. Print an admissions checklist for your fridge or bulletin board.
Freshman UT Application Checklist
Freshman BSoM Application Checklist - Fall
Freshman BSoM Application Checklist - Spring