Butler School of Music
Scholarships from the Butler School of Music are competitive music scholarships for music majors based primarily on the entrance audition. All applicants are considered for scholarship; no additional application is required. If you are awarded a scholarship from the BSoM you will be notified by the BSoM Scholarship Coordinator (not the Admissions Office) in mid to late March.

Scholarship Release from Current School (Transfer applicants only)
You must obtain a letter of release from your current school before you can be considered for a scholarship at the Butler School of Music. This is a National Association of Schools of Music rule and must be followed. Most schools will provide you with their own letter of release form. If your school does not have a form, please use our form, linked above.

UT Scholarships/Financial Aid
Information about University-wide scholarships (scholarships that are not specifically for music students) and other types of financial assistance is available from the following websites:
Office of Student Financial Services
Texas Exes
Scholarships for New Freshmen
Scholarships for Transfer Students
Scholarships for International Students
FAFSA (UT FAFSA Code: 003658)


I. How Scholarships Work With Financial Aid
Butler School of Music scholarships/fellowships are considered financial aid, just as grants, work-study, loans; however, they are "departmental" awards that are made based on your Music application, and on your audition if you are a performance major. Federal and state financial aid programs require that students not receive financial aid in excess of one's cost of education, which includes living expenses. Need based aid, such as grants and subsidized loans, must remain within a student's financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Scholarships are factored into financial need assessments. A student's need-based financial aid may be revised due to the departmental scholarship awards he/she is receiving from the Butler School of Music. This includes tuition exemptions and waivers.

II. Tax Liability
Scholarship payments cannot be processed unless students have self-reported their Social Security number or other Taxpayer ID on UTDirect. Students should consult a reliable source concerning tax liability related to scholarships. International students may be exempt from U.S. taxes on their scholarship payments if their country has a tax treaty with the U.S.; please contact the International Office when you arrive on campus to fill out the necessary paperwork.

III. Your Current Contact Information
Updating your address, phone number or email address on the UT website DOES NOT update your Butler School of Music records. Please notify the Graduate or Undergraduate office in the Butler School of Music any time your contact information changes!


I. Minimum Scholastic Requirements

A. Cumulative grade point average (GPA) for students who are currently on scholarship will be reviewed at the end of each semester. To retain a Music scholarship and to remain eligible for scholarship renewal, undergraduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00, and graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50.

If a student's GPA falls below the required minimum, the Student Awards Committee may choose to allow the student to retain the scholarship for one additional semester (a "grace semester") to bring his/her cumulative GPA up to the requirement. Notification will be sent to the student if a "grace semester" is approved. If a student is given a "grace semester" and his/her cumulative GPA is still below the required GPA after that semester, the scholarship will be canceled.

If a Music scholarship is canceled due to a low cumulative GPA, the student may submit a written appeal letter to the Student Awards Committee. Appeals will be considered only if there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to the student's low GPA (such as documented medical issues, family emergency, etc.). The appeal letter must be submitted to Anne Hall, Scholarship Coordinator, within ten days after a scholarship is canceled. The Student Awards Committee will review the letter and decide whether or not to grant additional time for the student to bring his/her GPA up to the required minimum.

B. To be eligible to receive Butler School of Music scholarship assistance, undergraduate scholarship winners must enroll in a minimum of 12 semester hours of course work per semester; graduate students must enroll in a minimum of 9 semester hours of course work per semester.

C. Scholarship award winners in a performance area must register and participate in designated ensembles or participate in accompanying. Discuss ensemble options with your primary instrument teacher. A list of approved ensembles is available in the Student Office, MRH 3.836.

D. Bachelor of Arts in Music majors must be registered for individual instrument lessons and an approved ensemble each semester in residence in order to retain scholarship eligibility.

II. Scholarship Renewals
A. Renewals of continuing scholarships are based on (1) students' making satisfactory progress and (2) maintaining minimum grade criteria and meeting all other minimum scholastic requirements listed above. Satisfactory progress is defined as:
Undergraduates: successfully completing 12 hours per semester that count toward completion of the degree declared when the scholarship was awarded.
Graduate students: successfully completing 9 hours per semester that count toward completion of the degree declared when the scholarship was awarded.

B. Students are eligible for scholarship assistance during the time periods listed below:
1. Bachelor's Degree - Four Years (with a fifth year upon approval of the Student Awards Committee)
2. Master's Degree - Two Years
3. Doctoral Degree - Three Years (Exceptions: Graduate Piano students who pursue both Masters and Doctoral Degrees at UT will be eligible for financial assistance from the School of Music for a maximum of four years of graduate study. Graduate students in Music Theory are eligible for scholarships at any time during their degree.)