THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN APPLICATION DEADLINES
Fall: March 1**
Spring: October 1
BUTLER SCHOOL OF MUSIC APPLICATION DEADLINES
Fall: January 1
Prescreening: December 1
Spring: October 1
Prescreening: October 1
Spring applications are accepted on a space available basis. Voice applications will not be accepted. Availability in other areas will be posted by late summer.
CURRENT UT AUSTIN STUDENTS: This web page is for EXTERNAL transfers (students attending an institution other than UT Austin). Please visit the Internal Transfer web page for instructions regarding adding or changing your major to Music.
**Very Important: Although the Fall deadline for UT Admissions is March 1 for transfers, you must complete and submit at least your Butler School of Music application, which includes the request for audition or review of a recorded audition, and UT application (excluding essays, transcripts, and other supplemental documents) before the Butler School of Music deadlines in order to be scheduled for an audition. Supplemental documents may then be submitted to UT Main Admissions up until March 1, however, we highly recommend completing your application to UT Admissions before your audition so that our faculty can review your application holistically.
Transfer Eligibility and Coursework Requirements
Only students who have 30 or more transferable hours are eligible for transfer admission.
Evaluation of individual courses is not available over the phone, in person, or by email from the Butler School of Music. Specific course evaluations, and decisions about the transferability of individual courses are made only by UT Main Admissions after an applicant has been admitted. The Transfer Resources page offers several suggestions for self-evaluation of transcripts for transfer credit.
Transfer Students Currently Attending a Texas School: The Automated Transfer Equivalency system is a searchable database of more than 290,785 transfer credit evaluations for courses at Texas colleges & universities. The ATE is maintained by the UT Austin Office of Admissions.
Upon entering the BSoM, your transcript will be evaluated by a faculty committee to determine which previous music coursework is equivalent to our courses. There are many factors in these decisions, including your grades, how recently the course was taken, the workload of the course, etc. Up to two semesters of ensemble credits may transfer and apply toward your degree. You won't know how much credit you will receive for your performance lessons (if you've had any) until you have studied for one semester and performed a jury.
Updated requirements for spring/fall 2014 entry will be available by July 1.
TO APPLY for admission to UT Austin and the Butler School of Music as a transfer student, complete the following requirements:
1. Apply to the UT Office of Admissions. Make sure all the required items arrive in the Office of Admissions by the deadline. However, if you are applying for FALL admission, you must have at least submitted the UT application (minus the supporting materials) prior to the Butler School of Music deadlines in order to schedule an audition. Be sure to list a second major choice when completing the UT online application. You will be evaluated for your second major choice if you do not pass the music audition. If you pass the audition, but are not accepted through UT Admissions, the UT Admissions decision will over-ride your Butler School of Music audition results.
2. Complete and submit the online Butler School of Music application form before the deadline to request an audition date or to request a review of a recorded audition. Please note that applicants in prescreening areas may have an earlier deadline. Clarinet, flute, string, and voice applicants must audition in person unless currently residing outside of the United States.
3. Prescreening applicants (flute, jazz guitar, violin, and voice only): Submit a prescreening recording by December 1 for Fall admission or October 1 for Spring admission. The Butler School of Music application must also be submitted by that date. Prescreening requirements can be found within the audition requirements.
4. Submit three (3) Letters of Recommendation directly to the BSoM. If possible, these letters should come from your private music teachers, high school or college band/orchestra/choral teachers, counselors, or others who know your work as a musician. Letters are due by the BSoM deadline.
5. Composition, Recording Technology, and Music Business applicants: You are required to submit supplemental materials in addition to the UT application and the BSoM application and audition. The deadline to submit supplemental materials for Fall admission is December 1 for Composition applicants, and January 1 for Recording Technology and Music Business applicants. October 1 is the deadline for supplemental materials for Spring admission.
6. Submit an expanded music resume by mail or fax. Although a music resume is not required to complete your application for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit one. Think of it as your opportunity to provide us with a complete picture of your activities, important performances, and honors and awards. This resume is in addition to the resume that is required by UT Main Admissions. You may send the same resume to UT Main Admissions and the Butler School of Music. In that case, be sure to fulfill UT Main Admissions requirements, but add additional information regarding your musical background.
7. Perform and pass your audition. All undergraduate applicants must perform and pass an audition to pursue a degree in music.
Have you been admitted to UT Austin as a Music Major for the Fall semester? Here's what to do next:
1. The deadline to submit your Butler School of Music response form and pay your enrollment deposit is May 1.
2. Register for Transfer Orientation, which occurs in June. If you are admitted to Music, this will include an orientation session with the Music Advisor, one-on-one advising appointments, and Fall course registration.
3. Visit the UT After-Admission Checklist and MyStatus to make sure you've finalized your admission.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR A SMOOTH APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Include your UT EID and full name on any document you submit to UT Main Admissions or the Butler School of Music. Each year we receive applications from multiple people with the same name. We wouldn't want to include your resume in someone else's file.
2. Check your UT application status regularly. MyStatus is a secure online tool that lets you follow the progress of your admission application and related processes from initial submission to your final admission decision and beyond. Materials sent directly to the BSoM will never appear in MyStatus. If you have questions about your BSoM application materials, please email Ms. Borshard.
3. Print an admissions checklist for your fridge or bulletin board.
UT Transfer Application Checklist
BSoM Transfer Application Checklist - Fall
BSoM Transfer Application Checklist - Spring